This is the job:
Cinco Design is looking for a Controller to play an important role on the management team of our leading design studio in Portland, OR. This individual will assist in the company’s financial growth and direction in both finance and strategic matters and must excel at providing oversight of the accounting/finance function within a dynamic and growing organization. The Controller is hands on with all accounting and financial practices including timely, accurate reporting, compliance and analysis and the managing cash flow and forecast. The Controller oversees contracts, banking relations, general accounting and other administrative functions. The ideal candidate must bring a strong strategic point of view to the conversation with a balanced and proven tactical approach in financial management for both short and long-range planning. We are looking for someone who is comfortable in standard methodology and is also willing to explore new ways of working to support our business goals.
These are the skills that are important:
- A strategic visionary with sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgment and creative problem-solving abilities.
- Able to prepare financial reports, statements and projections as well as analyze financial data making recommendations for top performance.
- Working knowledge of annual, quarterly and monthly budgeting, forecasting and profitability analysis.
- Integral in the management of studio and client economics, focusing on performance measures and goals, including rates, hours, and realized revenue.
- Excellent communication skills including presentation, persuasion, and negotiation abilities when working with customers, vendors and co-workers.
- Ability to remain calm and courteous under pressure.
- A well organized and self-directed individual with high ethical standards and an appropriate professional image.
The general responsibilities:
- Oversight all studio accounting and financial functions; including timely, accurate reporting, compliance and analysis; managing cash flow/use and forecast; providing plans/projections/objectives; overseeing contracts, banking relations, general accounting and administrative functions, and collections maintenance and support.
- Creation, analysis and presentation of reports to support management of studio and client economics, performance measurements and goals.
- Oversee and analyze budget-to-actual performance by project, program, team, and client.
- Manage tax planning and compliance with all federal, state, and local corporate, payroll and other applicable taxes.
- Analyze competitive and industry trends and make recommendations to improve company performance.
- Work with the Accounting Manager, Marketing, and Business leaders to progress the pricing and packaging of services
- Assists CEO to help/evaluate and make decisions that affect profitability.
- Represents financial position of business internally and to various external constituencies in a timely and accurate manner.
- Assist with annual cycle for compensation, bonus and employee review process.
- Advise and assist with choosing and maintaining financial systems to maintain effective controls and streamline business processes.
- Along with subject matter experts, lead teams to successfully drive and implement process improvement initiatives such as reporting, time sheets, expenses, P.O.’s and invoicing system
- Miscellaneous special projects as needed
- 8+ year experience in finance, accounting budgeting and cost control principles.
- Experience working within a professional services organization such as design, creative services, brand/marketing, or architecture firms.
- Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control best practices.
- Knowledge of federal and state financial regulations
- Knowledge of automated financial and accounting reporting systems. Working knowledge of agency management tools such as Workamajig a strong plus.
- Proficient on Microsoft Office & Google Sheets software
- Bachelors’ degree in Finance, Accounting or Business.
What we offer:
- Competitive salary, full medical, dental and vision benefits package and 401k matching and more.
- Access to amazing creative projects with clients like Nike, Nixon and EA.
- Paid holidays and vacation.
- Opportunities to make a difference in a small, highly productive environment.
Here’s a bit about us:
We’re a strategic design studio in Portland, OR that works with innovative companies to create powerful, unified lifestyle brands. We are constantly pushing for new ways of working that enhance the product and services we offer while allowing the business to grow and thrive. If you want to be a part of something awesome please send us a resume and cover letter explaining how you’ll contribute to our success via the link above.